Call: 575-437-7085

5 Pet Toxins in your Home

To recognize National Animal Poison Prevention Week from March 19 to 25th, we’d like to help you learn about the most common household items that can harm your pets.


#1: Medications

Pets, especially food-driven dogs, can be quite sneaky when it comes to finding dropped pills or pill bottles in visitors’ suitcases. Sadly, this often leads to them ingesting common household medicines – from beef-flavored heartworm preventives to their master’s prescription meds – which can result in overdoses and even death if left unchecked. If your pet has ingested medications of any kind, don’t delay; contact an animal poison control hotline ASAP!



#2: Food

Keeping your beloved pet away from the kitchen is essential, as it holds a range of toxically delicious hazards. From chocolate to macadamia nuts and xylitol, avocados to unbaked yeast dough and alcohol – there’s no shortage of dangers that can lead to anything from kidney failure and seizures right through to alcohol poisoning or severe hypoglycemia in pets. To protect your counter-surfing pal from helping you out in the kitchen, invest in a locking trashcan for ultimate peace of mind!


#3: Household chemicals

Protect your pet from potential harm by securely storing the following common household chemicals away from their reach:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

Before introducing any new plants to your home, be sure to check the ASPCA’s toxic plant list. Many houseplants and chemicals used on them are poisonous for pets, such as lilies which can prove fatal even if the cat comes into contact with just its pollen. Some other popular varieties that pose a risk include dieffenbachia, elephant ear, spider plants – and not forgetting outdoor specimens like ivy or oleander. Keep your furry friends safe by double checking before bringing some greenery indoors!


#5: Batteries and coins

If your pet ingests a battery or coin, they can experience metal poisoning and even significant chemical burns if the item was punctured. Should an undamaged battery be swallowed whole, it may lead to a severe gastrointestinal blockage.

If your pet may have encountered a hazardous material, do not hesitate to reach out to our team right away.